Re: [TenTec] ORION II CW pile up readability

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION II CW pile up readability
From: "Wayne Whitman" <wwhitman@fastmail.fm>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 08:18:54 -0600
This has been an interesting discussion alright.

I have spent quite a bit of time experimenting with different settings
of af gain/rf gain/agc using an Orion II with latest firmware.
My observations have been that the difference in readability of a weak
cw dx station has for me been minimal by increasing af gain and riding
the rf gain regardless of agc settings.
It does not seem to alter the s/n ratio between the weak cw station and
the atmospheric noise much at all, if any.

Perhaps this is because I am using a vertical antenna that may be more
noise susceptible?
The difficulty I have with minimal agc and high af/low rf gain is that
as soon as the dx station signs, a very strong station calls and just
about blasts me across the room before I can get the rf gain down.

Advice please?
Tnx & 73,
Wayne

--