Re: [TenTec] [Fwd: Line Isolator Balun (sorta) question.]

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [Fwd: Line Isolator Balun (sorta) question.]
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 19:15:44 +0100
The chances of a Reactive choke decreasing the feedline CM path
impedance may be much higher than many folk might think, particularly on
a multiband antenna. Trying to assess the CM path impedance on various
bands and constructing a Reactive choke which "tunes"  the impedance to
create "multiple quarter waves" on all of those bands is well beyond the
capability of most Hams, if not impossible altogether. The safe option
for them is a choke with high Resistive impedance.

I just added a section to the CM chokes page of my web site which
illustrates the point:
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/chokes/index.html#inductive_chokes

Notice in the example given, where the coax is short of a
half-wavelength and the CM path impedance is 28-j200, adding any choke
with a reactance between 0 and +j400 will *increase* the common-mode
current. Now imagine trying to construct a choke which  avoids the
"problematic" reactance ranges on every band in a multiband situation.

73,
Steve G3TXQ