Re: [TenTec] [TenTec} Original Orion Firmware

To: "'tentec@contesting.com'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [TenTec} Original Orion Firmware
From: "Zivney, Terry L." <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:53:24 -0400
I have a pair of original Orions.  One runs 1.372 and the other 2.062a.
These were the "official" (non-beta)  versions put on them by the factory.

I think the automatic notch works better in 2.062a on 40m SSB.  The NR works
much better on 1.372 - I listen to Packers football on 620AM each fall (very
good DX from here) and the NR on 1.372 lets me hear the play-by-play -
the NR in 2.062a doesn't seem to work at all on the AM mode.  In 160m CW
DX contests I like the NR  better in 1.372, too.

I like the traditional band scope display, but found out just as I was packing
my favorite Orion for the WRTC in Moscow that 2.062a's band scope requires
the hardware mod (I only have that on my second Orion which has a problem
with the headphone jack) so had to use 1.372 for the WRTC.   The display didn't
lock up during the 24 hours in the Sauna.

I like the extra stage of microphone preamplification in version 2.

I would really like to be able to access SEND1-SEND3 from my logging program -
Everything else is available -  I use the remote pod and they work fine from
there.

Terry Zivney, N4TZ/9