Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] In praise of older technology
From: Jim Lowman <jmlowman@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 17:27:13 -0800
This reminds me of being in Air Force MARS when I was stationed in Japan.

It was a 2m net, and I had the Icom IC-21; a very popular 2m FM-only transceiver at that time.

During one of the nets, the net control operator commented about some guys being off frequency. Those IC-21s were crystal-controlled but, of course, crystals change frequency with age. There was a trimmer capacitor next to each crystal, but most of us had no frequency standard to calibrate our radios.

The comment was met with a lot of "so what?" answers.
The net control operator pointed out that the procedure was to zero-beat the NCS.
This really got people upset, which detracted from the purpose of the net.
Of course, he was correct about the procedure, but he said it in the typical "brown-shoe lifer" tone.
Some guys even stopped checking in after that.

As you may have guessed, I had no problem re-acclimating to civilian life after eight years, since I never got into the military mindset.

73 de Jim - AD6CW