Re: [TenTec] Service

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Service
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 09:59:04 -0800
As a business owner, I had to respond to this.  While $40 an hour for a tech
is good, and 50% overhead barely covers the employer's cost of sick leave,
SSI, vacation, unemployment, worker's comp, ObamaCare etc., 'overhead' is
greatly under estimated.  Here are a few items:

Rent/mortgage
Loan interest and amortization (initial investment and working capital)
Taxes
Banking services
Bad debt/collection costs and write-offs
Building upkeep
Security (building alarms/surveillance etc.)
Vehicles/transportation
Furniture
Purchase, maintenance, calibration and depreciation of good test equipment
and other tools
Computers, software and updates
Acquisition and carrying cost of lots of expensive, and is some cases
proprietary parts
Insurance
Advertising/marketing
Employee recruitment
Employee training
Sexual Harassment training (required every two years by law in California
for all managers)
Utilities, including internet, phones, electric, sewer, water, etc.
"General and Administrative":  Management, accounting/bookkeeping, shipping,
postage, office supplies and the big one: LAWYERS!

All of that, and the little things from coffee to toilet paper, and you
would be amazed at how expensive it is to run a business these days and
still get a reasonable return on a risky investment.  I'm surprised anyone
can offer service for *only* $140 and hour.

I'm glad I started my own business 30 years ago, but faced with that
daunting task in today's business environment, I would pass and instead, get
a job as a paper-pusher with the Social Security Administration!

          Ron Castro
           N6IE
    www.N6IE.com

Member: