Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC- needs improvement

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EZNEC- needs improvement
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 09:56:30 +0100
Well, I'm pleased to report I'm not going senile - well, I don't think so!

I'd forgotten that I saw a similar problem last year on a Hexbeam model
and contacted Roy Lewallen about it. I just found the model again and
can reproduce a very similar bug:

Double click the file to open EZNEC
Click FF Plot
Azimuth plot shows Gain -3.47dBi, Front/Back 26.58dBi
Click Ground Type
Click Free Space
Click OK
Click Ground Type
Click Real
Click OK
Click FF Plot
Azimuth plot shows different results: Gain -4.04dBi, Front/Back 40.13dBi

I get the first results consistently when I've loaded the file until
such time as I select Free Space and revert to Real Ground; thereafter I
consistently get the second set of results. The model is complex and
produces a segmentation warning, but I can't understand why the results
wouldn't be repeatable.

Notice that I don't even need to do a computation run to correct the
problem - simply selecting Free Space and then immediately re-selecting
Real Ground is enough to correct it. I sent Roy the file in question but
didn't ever hear back from him.

If anyone would be interested to check whether this behaviour is
repeated on their version of EZNEC - I'm on EZNEC+ v.5.0.20 - I'd be
happy to forward the file.

Steve G3TXQ