Re: [VHFcontesting] rules

To: "George Fremin III" <geoiii@kkn.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] rules
From: "Ron Hooper" <w4wa@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 08:47:19 -0500
Hi George

Coming from both a HF and VHF contesting background as well, I agree with
Marshall. The way I remember it, HF contesters were the primary reason the
rule concerning the use of phone calls during the contest was created. Many
HF contesters were calling buddies around the world on the phone to get
multipliers. Somehow the rule got pushed into the VHF contest. The reason I
remember it, is because I never agreed with it in VHF contest then or now.
(This was long before Internet and packet)

The difference is that on any HF band you camp on with little regard to
where the antenna is pointed and frequency, you can make contacts, On UHF
and up, the antenna direction, time of operation and frequency is very
important to make a single contact. To me, this seems to play down the use
of higher freqencies during a contest which is something that needs to be
promoted.

The rover guys seem to be affected by this rule more since many are only in
a grid for a short time. The use of cell phones by the rovers will continue
to happen regardless of the rules, there will always be a buddy that will
get the grid. I see the map idea to track rovers as a way to help eliminate
some of the buddy contacts and make things happen more random.

The next thing you guys will be discussing is eliminating the use of
computers to log the contact and insisting on going back to paper logs.

Lets focus on making the contacts and not complicted rules.

Ron W4WA