Re: [VHFcontesting] rules

To: Michael Tessmer <fininine@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] rules
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:16:33 -0600 (CST)
Hi Mike!

First off, I WANT more HF contesters to get into VHF+.  A lot of HF
contesters love running stations and the adrenalin rush that goes with it.
They get on VHF and, except for rare openings on 6 meters, quickly get
bored with the few QSO's per hour and give it up.  I've personally seen
and heard many HF contesters say this.  A few get bitten by the VHF bug
and stay with it. I welcome them!

Secondly, I'm just not into making QSO's by any other means than (a) skeds
arranged before the contest, or (b) what I can hear and work during the
contest.  The January VHF SS this year brought dismal conditions to my
area.  I operated from home with antennas that weren't that high up, with
a broken rotor, and had great difficulty working people, either because
there were fewer around in the contest or because most people did not
point their beams my way. But as Kurt Vonnegut would say, "So it goes",
and I only managed 12 QSO's and a lot of listening to noise - probably
about 8 hours of it.

Microwave QSO's are a blast!  To me, there isn't much greater fun than
running the bands up through 10 GHz. I'm working on adding even more
bands.
:-)

73, Zack W9SZ