Re: [VHFcontesting] rules

To: Marshall Williams <k5qe@sabinenet.com>,VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] rules
From: George Sintchak/WA2VNV <wa2vnv@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 23:09:19 -0500
I have to agree completely. As I said in one of my earlier emails - this
should be all about making the 2 way contact - as you also point out.
Anyway you can set it up is fine. It will increase activity! One of the
biggest complaints I hear is "not enough participation", "where was
everybody", or "nobody was on", etc.  Then we see OP's giving up and selling
off equipment and going "where there is more activity". Why spend the time,
money & effort if I can only (sometimes) work a few stations. I don't blame
them for abandoning the V/U bands.

How do we stop this from continuing to happen?    Open the flood gates and
let the activity increase.  Keep the rules simple. What would be so terrible
about that?   But wait, you say, it's an unfair advantage for some stations?
How about those that live in a valley surrounded by hills vs. a mountain top
station - that's an unfair advantage, right? Should we add another rule or
multiplier/correction for  "Height Above Average Terrain "?  How about a ham
population density per grid square correction also. Yeah, let's call it the
HP/GS multiplier...or should it be an inverse multiplier.... I think you see
my point. We all operate with the best setup we can create within the
constraints of propagation, location, equipment, money, time, etc. Are we
havin' fun yet or what?

Let those that want truly "random" contacts without ANY pre-arranged
schedules/spotting, etc or running the bands - only call CQ to make a
contact (or two) on 2.3, 5.7, 10 GHz (or higher) and see how they do without
any coordination of time, where to aim/point, frequency, mode, etc - it
isn't going happen very often.... "I called CQ for hours, changed frequency,
aimed the beam, etc. but nobody was on!"  To facilitate making a contact
should be by any means possible - but you still have to make the 2 way
complete contact exchange. Isn't this what it's all about?

QED.
Best 73's, (Please don't shoot/flame the messenger)
George, WA2VNV