[TowerTalk] Joining EHS Guy To Philly Guy

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Joining EHS Guy To Philly Guy
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 21:35:12 -0400
I am curious if you witnessed any commercial towers with Phillystran?
Anyway I believe that commercial tower guys like to use shackles so you
could put one between the Phillystran and EHS however I do not see any
mechanical difference where one method is likely to crush the thimble.  A
shackle allows for easy removal without destroying the Performed Grip so it
makes a nicer installation but as I previously stated I use back to back
thimbles.

John KK9A

Wayne Kline w3ea wrote:

I am sure there  is NO  mechanical advantage of dual thimbles over and
ceramic egg insulator.

I my self have never witnessed the dual thimble  configuration on and
commercial towers.  The one's with none conductive guys or none conductive
insulator rods all use (Johnny Balls) egg insulators. To terminate to EHS
strand wire .

One other thought  as a Belt and Suspender Type . The thought of two metals
at friction points = noise to me.. On one of my towers  just the thimbles
into the guy wire flange  ( Rohn 65) noise was traced two sources   1 the
guy attachment point   and  at the Tic Ring rotating ring.. One requires a
whisker  that rode along the ring flange as it rotated and all thimble to
guy attachment points  had  ground brads  attached from the guy grips the
tower legs.

YMMV

Wayne W3EA