Re: [CQ-Contest] Self-spotting explanation from CQWW blog

To: DXer <hfdxmonitor@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self-spotting explanation from CQWW blog
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 13:23:15 -0500

> Again, if the decision was to participate in the unassisted category, why is
> self-spotting or not an issue. Unassisted means no access to the benefits of
> spotting, sent or received, self or otherwise.

Not quite: you have no control over whether someone unrelated to your operation
(or on CW, Skimmer) spots you, so your being spotted in that way doesn't affect
your unassisted status. If it were otherwise, there could be zero, or very few,
who still qualify as unassisted at contest end. Nearly everyone gets spotted.

It's when you or your designate spots you in an effort to boost your score does
it become a rules issue.

73, kelly, ve4xt