Re: [TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion?
From: Kevin Purcell <kevinpurcell@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 09:55:11 -0700
So that was K3 not K2 versus Orion (sounds like a boxing match).

The K3 has a much "bigger" UI than the K2.

<http://www.elecraft.com/K3/K3_640_v2.jpg>
<http://www.elecraft.com/K3/K3_big_v2.jpg>

This is a different radio designed for a different price point. It
will live alongside the K2.

It is a smaller box than the Orion. Some will like that. Some won't.
Some design goals are a little different.

> The K3 is the only deluxe transceiver that is targeted at both home
> and field use. Weighing just 8 pounds and having dimensions of 4” x
> 10” x 10” HWD (10 x 25 x 25 cm), it’s well-suited to demanding
> DXpedition or Field Day operations. Its receive-mode current drain
> of less than 1 amp greatly facilitates battery or solar-powered
> mobile/RV/marine installations. But unlike smaller portable
> transceivers, the K3’s user interface is optimized for ease of use,
> and its feature set rivals units many times its size and weight.

<http://www.elecraft.com/news.htm>

Nice to see we have two US companies competing in this market to
provide excellent radios. Plus the 3 Japanese companies.

Life is better.

On May 1, 2007, at 9:33 AM, Neal Campbell K3NC wrote:

> I own both a K2 and an Orion 2 (as well as a SDR1000). The main
> problem with the K2 is the smallness of the case and the fact that
> every button has a 'tap' behaviour and an 'press and hold' behaviour
> which I find a bit annoying (I have not mastered how to safely do
> that when excited by DX, etc) I see  they are retaining the tap/hold
> methodology in the K3 which is a shame. For me, they could have made
> the box 1/4 bigger and added a few more buttons.
>
> I also like a big box for rigs needing an operational front (I
> actually prefer the PowerSDR software interface for all but
> contesting and who knows?)
> Neal Campbell K3NC
> nealk3nc@gmail.com
>
> telnet to our DX Spotting clusters at: dxc.k3nc.com, ports 12001
> and 23
>
> "Devoted to Dogs: How to be your dog's best owner"
> Great Dog Book  at www.abrohamneal.com
>

> On May 1, 2007, at 12:21 PM, Martin AA6E wrote:
>
>> I just wandered over to www.Elecraft.com and saw the announcement
>> of the
>> K3.  Very nice!  If I were shopping now, I'd have to consider it
>> seriously against the Orion - at apx half the price.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> 73 Martin AA6E

N7WIM / G8UDP
Kevin Purcell