Re: [CQ-Contest] RST?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RST?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 12:07:47 -0800
On 11/16/2023 6:03 PM, Mike Ritz wrote:
RST still has value as a “notifier” in that what follows is what really
matters, the exchange. With CW, your brain gets into the rhythm of 5NN,
and makes it easier to decide what follows. It’s even better in RTTY, as
  if your decoder gets the 599 correct, chances are the exchange may be
OK too.

I don't agree with this, Mike. When contesting, my 82-year old brain is in the rhythm after a few QSOs. And the only certainty I have that I've copied correctly with RTTY is if I see the call and exchange decoded twice the same way. For years, I've followed the advice of top RTTY contesters and run two RTTY decoders using different decode algorithms. W0YK and WK6I use more than that.

73, Jim K9YC