Re: [Karlnet] PRISM II 100mW card kicks a.. (Nothing wrong with the rad

To: <karlnet@WISPNotes.com>
Subject: Re: [Karlnet] PRISM II 100mW card kicks a.. (Nothing wrong with the radio!)
From: "Norm Young" <npyoung@applegatebroadband.net>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 22:36:39 -0700
Well, I took the 4X4  up to the AP this afternoon and I swapped the PRISM II
100mW card from the PtMP position into the PtP position this, a "known" good
situation.  It made a rather amazing difference on the PtP link, driving the
signal strength from -77dBm with the 15dB Orinoco up to -67dBm for the 100mW
card.  A bit more than would be expected.  (I wonder how these RF connectors
for the radios take physical stress, bending them around in the box that the
AP1000 is located in...the only thing that changed here was the card and the
pigtail (same length))  Receive signal strength was just as good as the
Orinoco card I swapped out, which was a bit of a surprise again, as the
Orinoco is specd as having better recv. sensitivity than the PRISM II.

Anyway, bottom line, the PRISM II 100mW card works just fine, actually
better than fine, it seems to work great, turning the backhaul into quite
the barn burner.   It even seems to remotely reboot (although I didn't have
a lot of time up there and tried it only a couple of times).  So, go figure.
Not sure what the problem is (was?).

Something wrong with the PtMP antenna setup perhaps.  Recalculated the
downtilt and cranked it back a bit, going to see how that works out.  May be
a problem with connectors (they were among my first attempts).

Apologies to Tony, and anyone else that had any doubts introduced about the
PRISM II cards.   Part of the problem is that it's not easy for me to make
changes as I have to drive up to the AP, and the weather needs to be
perfect, otherwise I could have done this testing before making any noises.
I guess I was a bit bummed about the performance, as all these customers are
coming online next week and I was panicking, and wanted to know if anyone
else was seeing the same problem.  (As the cards had just been introduced.)
I'll try to check my keyboard at the door next time and do more testing, and
less panicking.

Norm