Re: [Karlnet] Which F/W?

Subject: Re: [Karlnet] Which F/W?
From: Chris Conn <cconn@abacom.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 18:41:43 -0400

Problems with v4.43k firmware:

1> Wireless Link Test: the base station from which the wireless link test is being run shows up in list of test partners. eg. A base station with a single PC card can do a link test with it's self.

2> Wireless Link Test: the base station from which a wireless link test is being run shows other base stations that are operating on different channels with different NWID's. eg. Base1 can do a link test with Base2 even though Base1 is on Ch:1 & NWID:1 and Base2 is on Ch:6 & NWID:6

3> Uploading 4.43k sometimes forgets static routes. Even though the route still shows up under "Setup", "IP Router", the route is missing from "Monitor", "IP Route".

4> A base station with 4.43k continuously (twice per second) sends SNMP trap messages to any defined trap logger. Messages are "Link Up" and "Link Down"

5> Tertiary firmware fails to load on some cards with 8.10 and 8.72 firmware.

I guess the question of up/downgrading is a matter of what problem you are trying to solve. I don't like trading a solution for a new problem or problems so I've downgraded back to 4.31 everywhere.

Hello,

Thanks for the info. I guess you can add 6) more retransmits.

I have not personally seen the 1 and 2, however I confess that I am still using a 4.43K build that does not load 8.74 on the base station, therefore it is most likely a Orinoco firwmare integration design change. Points 3 and 5 seem quite bothersome and I hope Karlnet is aware of these. Curious about #4, I will have to check this. I do run 4.43K on all satellites with the 8.74 tertiary upload and am routing everywhere, and have no visible issues. I don't use the SNMP traps anymore and my routing is not statically configured anymore...

The fact you see other systems in the wireless link test sounds more of a feature than a bug. The wireless link test is done using 802.11b protocols at 1Mb sensitivity, not your usual Turbocell protocols. Karlnet does not write the wireless link test partner selection routine since it calls upon the radio firmware to report these values. Therefore, if whoever writes the card firmware has decided to allow the scan to check all channels, then so be it. Turn on WEP encryption and be invisible.

I suppose if you are not encrypting then 4.31 is a suitable version (without the superior polling on the base...). The problems adressed that concerned me with 4.43K were all related to encryption issues.

Chris