RFI

Re: [RFI] CFL bulbs - NO WAY

To: <dhallam@rapidsys.com>, "Hisashi T Fujinaka" <htodd@twofifty.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] CFL bulbs - NO WAY
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:14:39 -0400
> Ahh, but then why don't the Al Gore's of the world come
> out and say "Right
> now these hybrid cars emit more total pollution per unit
> that do the
> conventional gasoline automobiles.  However, some day
> technological
> improvements may change that."
>
> Another Inconvenient Truth

Just because a person claims the total birth to grave
emissions are higher in an internet chatroom doesn't mean it
is factual.

There is pretty much universal agreement all around the
world that at least a significant part of global warming is
caused by humans, but there is virtually nothing to be found
showing the total impact of any vehicle from birth to grave.

People always have a tendency to accept what they want to
hear without questioning the validity of it. That's why we
are in so much trouble. We are easily manipulated to support
people we would never support if we looked objectively at
their history or actions because we believe what we want to
regardless of fact.

CFL bulbs have a low reliability factor, but so do the light
dimmers and everything else I buy from China. They have high
power factor compared to the unity power factor of an
incandescent lamp. They certainly cause more pollution in
manufacture and disposal. The exact numbers vary widely, but
in general they do save energy. They do NOT save money. They
won't save the world.

Most of our energy waste is in needlessly large houses and
vehicles and our habits. Not in light bulbs. A 100kW vehicle
engine can't be corrected for by reducing the peak electric
light demand by 500 watts.

73 tom