Re: [RTTY] Take Two RTTY Exchange

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Take Two RTTY Exchange
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 05:59:31 -0800
Don and Bill are both making valid points.  Which one is "right" depends on
the trade-off between accuracy and rate.  Operating in a way to (try to)
achieve perfect accuracy usually results in a lower overall score compared
to accepting some risk of error to keep the rate up.  Similarly, ignoring
accuracy and only focusing on rate will result in a sub-optimal score.  The
sweet spot is often achieved by first streamlining messages in the way Don
describes in this S&P exchange example.  Then, dynamically add your call or
his call to the message (tapping a "my call" and/or "his call" macro at the
beginning and/or end of the main message) if you feel a specific QSO
situation would be better off.  "Better off" meaning there is a
significantly higher probability of logging the wrong station.  Good
operating isn't just about repeating the same messages throughout the
contest, but rather adapting appropriately as conditions change.

Ed - W0YK