[RTTY] HA: ROS policeman on 14101

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] HA: ROS policeman on 14101
From: "Vladimir Sidarau" <vs_otw@rogers.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 13:20:30 -0400
Not sure, ROS and their aficionados are really a serious problem. There
certainly IS another one which stays away from even a gentle touch for
whatever reason. I mean Packet robots. I am sure, I am not the only one
affected by them all the time.

The following things make me curious:

1. What is a real number of the Packet robots' users, and how this number
correlates with the number of RTTY users, especially in contests?

2. Based on the above correlation, do those guys deserve their de-facto
"don't touch them" status?

3. If the packet users proudly call themselves a part of the Emcomm system,
what kind of reliability of the system we can talk about if they put their
communication channel right inside the RTTY band? During major contests they
have to deal with hundreds of extremely loud RTTY signals around or right on
their channel's frequency. Knowing that, I for one would never consider them
as a potential part of a real Emcomm system.

4. Is it really a big deal for them to switch the robots off for RTTY
contests' weekends?

Perhaps yet another set of rhetoric questions. Anyways.

73,
Vladimir VE3IAE

---