Re: [RTTY] ROS policeman on 14101

To: Jay WS7I <ws7ik7tj@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ROS policeman on 14101
From: "Anthony W. DePrato" <wa4jqs@mikrotec.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:09:38 -0400
At 09:50 AM 3/22/2012, Jay WS7I wrote:
>I knew you would show up, Tony.
>
>73 Jay
>

>On 3/22/2012 6:31 AM, Anthony W. DePrato wrote:
>>At 04:47 PM 3/21/2012, you wrote:
>>>Cynical for sure.  We have had many great RTTY Dxpeditioners and I saw
>>>that another one of our greats was going to NH8S (Swain's). Also
>>>recently worked Ron ZL1AMO's call (SK), and remember all the stuff in
>>>the Pacific Ron put on RTTY for many years.  Met him a couple of times
>>>in Dayton.  Then there is our resident Artic guy from way down south
>>>(chime in here as I know you're on the reflector).  It takes a large
>>>investment in time and money.
>>>
>>>What was once rare HC8 circa 1987 isn't so much anymore.  Mega
>>>Dxpeditions have also changed the outlook.

Jay is correct. this day and time the amount of money needed to get
on a team is up there with the U.S. Debt. hi hi... the number of rtty
ops is smaller then both ssb and cw so you have fewer guys who can
afford to go . when i put the VP8SSI Dxpedition together i had not
been on RTTY since the late 60's and early 70's. finding an op who
could go and afford the cost was getting no where. so i dug out the
old rtty gear and hooked it up and got back on the air . well it did
not take long to realize that the old TU and scope would have to go
so i bought a new pk unit and Ray gave me WF1B software and i started
contesting again. for a year or two before we took off. the boys and
AEA and later HAL gave me crash courses in troubleshooting and repair
which came is very handy on Peter 1ST. with both the RTTY and SAT
gear were damaged in transit. its been 20 yrs now since i first went
to the ICE and i have great memories. we could not have made the 1800
rtty qsos from SSI without the help of  people like Ray , WF1B  and
the boys at AEA and HAL. and of course the ever larking in the
background JAY..
73 Tony

Anthony W.  DePrato WA4JQS
Since Sept 9th 1962
CQ DX HALL OF FAME # 39
DXCC HONOR ROLL
FOUNDER SOUTH SANDWICH ISLAND DX GROUP 1988
CALLS HELD
VP8BZL VP8SSI 3Y0PI ZD8JQS V31SS WA4JQS/ZS1 WA4JQS/KC4 WA4JQS/4K1
ZUT DE WA4JQS