RE: [TenTec] SteppIR Ten Tec Orion interface

To: <tentec@contesting.com>, <SteppIR@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] SteppIR Ten Tec Orion interface
From: "George Skoubis" <george.skoubis@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 14:38:10 -0500
Hi,

  I have my SteppIR following my Orion's frequency while connected to
N4PY's program and using Logger32.

  I'll use wire colors to describe, this is just for illustrative
purposes, use any wire color you want!!!

  On the SteppIR end of the DB9 cable connect the green wire to pin 2
and black wire to pin 5.  Take a 1 inch long wire, strip both ends and
connect one end to pin 7 and one end to pin 9.  You are now done with
the SteppIR end of the cable.

  On the computer/Orion end of the cable (follow along in the 9 Pin Y
cable diagram in the SteppIR manual) the green wire goes to pin 2 and
the black wire goes to pin 5.  I connect the shield to the DB9 connector
body at the Orion/Computer end of the cable and I cut and tape it at the
SteppIR end.

  I'm not sure if you'll get a ground loop with a connection made at
both ends but it works for me this way and I'll stick with it...

  I was having problems with mine until I noticed the jumper between
pins 7 and 9... I think the jumper is needed since the SteppIR box has a
MAX202 that is looking for a TTL signal and the Orion is providing a
RS232 serial signal so the jumper disables the TTL/RS232 conversion
(just a guess).

  You also need to go into your setup menu on the SteppIR box, change
the rig to Orion and the baud speed to 57600.  In your control program
make sure polling is turned on since the SteppIR controller doesn't poll
but only listens for the frequency. If you're using the N4PY program
there is a handy polling button to depress on the main display to the
left of the frequency readouts.

  Of course I did this the hard way, if you have a cable that worked
with a TenTec Omni VI it will work FB.  I misread the document on the
SteppIR site, rewired my cable and after all was said and done
replicated it (3 days later)...

  Let me know if you have any questions.

  I also built the N8LP tuning relay kit and installed it between the TX
EN jack on the Orion and the amp and it prevents the rig from
transmitting while the antenna is tuning.  This works amp on or off if
you have the keying loop enabled on the Orion and a QSK amp.

73 de George / KF9YR