Re: Topband: FT8 qrm

To: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 qrm
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 06:54:54 -0500
A typical CW guy will hear FT8 or JT65 as a kinda whiny wobbly intermittent
carrier. And will probably think it’s just some neighborhood switching power
supply noise. He won’t CQ right on top of it (because he wants to hear a DX
respondent) but he will have no problem firing up 500 Hz away.

But the digital guys e.g. FT8 have 2khz wide filters. So there is a fundamental
assymetry here.

Tim N3QE

Sent from my VAX-11/780