Re: Topband: FT8 qrm

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 qrm
From: Roger Parsons via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 15:49:00 +0000 (UTC)
Perhaps I shouldn't have started this thread!

The whole point of my original posting was that I was definitely transmitting
more than 500Hz HF of the FT8 tones, so from an 'analogue' perspective there
should have been no problem. As others have mentioned, FT8 is received though
an SSB bandwidth filter. Where wideband noise is the limiting factor on
reception (eg VHF) it is a valid technique to put the ultimate selectivity at
the end of the receive chain. It is not valid where there are likely to be
strong signals from some other mode within the receiver IF passband. Therefore,
my opinion FT8 (and many other digital modes) are not suitable in situations
where there is intense activity on nearby frequencies. I think it is
unreasonable to suggest that there should be an unused 'guard band' just to
overcome receiver and system deficiencies.

(And of course I am aware that these limitations could be overcome using SDR
architecture, but that is another story.)

73 Roger
VE3ZI