Re: Topband: FT8 qrm

To: "'topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 qrm
From: "Dave Chasey" <wn9nbt@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 10:59:16 -0500
As has been said, 160 meter FT8 transmissions are all within the audio
bandwidth of an SSB signal on 1840 although technically they could operate
anywhere on the 160 meter band.    That said, I've never heard anyone
operate FT8 outside of that slot, and for good reason.   However, would the
folks that would call QRL on CW and operate in the middle of that slot,
potentially QRMing many FT8 QSO's in progress be willing to support someone
on FT8 start calling CQ in the middle of the DX window on 160?    After all,
they may be wanting to work DX!   Yes, that's a silly argument, and I in no
way would suggest anyone do that, but it illustrates a point.   It's easy to
look at any mode other than your preferred mode at the time as being QRM,
but their interests are as valid as the next guy's.    Then there are the
well-established nets that fire up at a certain time on a certain frequency
that creates the "I was here first" versus the "A lot of folks know to meet
here on this freq at this time" competing interests.   Very few of us know
all of the competing interests, so people just need to be gentlemen (and
ladies) and work together to make it a better experience for all.

...Dave - N9FN