Re: [TowerTalk] DX Engineering 66-Foot Vertical?

To: n8de@thepoint.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DX Engineering 66-Foot Vertical?
From: "Jack/W6NF" <vhfplus@bmg50.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 20:05:12 -0700
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:03 PM, <n8de@thepoint.net> wrote:

> Let me calculate:
>
> 6 x 11 = 66'
>
> 64' vertical
>
> this means the TEN overlaps occupy only 2' ?
>
> 24/10 = 2.4 inches.
>
> I'd never put up a vertical with only 2.4" per overlap... disaster
> looking to happen.
>
> Now, if there are 12 sections with 11 overlaps:
>
> 6 x 12 = 72'
> 64' vertical
>
> 8' of overlap in 11 places
>
> 96/11 = about 9" per overlap.
>
> Much safer construction, in my humble opinion.
>
> 73
> Don
> N8DE
>

> Quoting N7KA@comcast.net:
>

> > Tubing cost alone is $142.20 from DXE plus the mast kit comes with
> > clamps.  Not to bad a deal for the mast kit.  Note that most tubing
> > is slit at one end for use of "hose" clamps.  It takes 11 6ft
> > sections to be for 64ft vertical.
> >

> > Arne N7KA

I have two of the DX Engineering 65-foot vertical kits...one on 80-meters
and one tee-loaded for 160. They both have 1/4-wave radials...40 on 80 and
39 (at present) on 160. Both are mounted on 8-foot 4x4's set in concrete and
pivot on long bolts. The performance of both is excellent with my first EU
on 160 with this antenna...something I never was able to do with my
inverted-L.

The bottom sections are 5-6-inch overlap with diminishing overlap as you go
up. I have the both antennas guyed with Dacron line at 3 levels, as
recommended by DX Engineering, plus I have two extra guys at right angles to
the tee-wires on the 160 antenna. I have experienced 65-70MPH (minimum)
winds with no detrimental effects at all. Basically, I'm pretty happy with
the verticals and have no qualms about the construction technique.

--
Jack, W6NF
Silver Springs, NV

Migrating my e-mail to vhfplus@gmail.com. Please update you address book.