Re: [CQ-Contest] Counting DC as a Multiplier and NotasPartofMaryland.

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Counting DC as a Multiplier and NotasPartofMaryland.
From: Steve Harrison <k0xp@dandy.net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 03:26:44 +0000
At 06:40 PM 5/21/2007 -0700, David Gilbert wrote:

>I don't get it.  How is that any different than any modest station
>having to compete against a bigger one in their same state?  What's so
>special about DC (other than the original argument regarding it's legal
>status)?

DC is, politically-speaking, a whole separate area of its own. Other than
being located on land that would have, except for the Constitution, been
Maryland's or Virginia's, it's as politically separate from Maryland and
Virginia as any other state is from Maryland and Virginia.

BTW, most of the part of DC that used to be what is now part of Arlington
County, Virginia, is the National Cemetary, which also used to be part of
Robert E. Lee's estate. There are still maps around that show the whole
square area of DC straddling the Potomac River.

Two of my kids were born in DC hospitals; their birth certificates say
"District of Columbia", not "WDC, Maryland" or "DC, Virginia". I got a
parking ticket one late night while waiting fer the first of them to pop
out from a DC cop, and hadda pay the District of Columbia, not Maryland.
Not having learned my lesson, I got another parking ticket from a govmint
cop while waiting fer the second one to pop out when I parked in what
turned out to be a government parking lot; that one hadda be paid at a Fed
courthouse  ;o\  ;o\  ;o\

It's not that I like DC (actually, I hate the place and hope I never have
to go there again  ;o); but the argument for DC being a separate
multiplier, especially in contests counting sections as mults but also
those only counting states, makes sense to me. As explained before, DC is,
politically, nothing like an Indian reservation.

What's special bout DC, multiplier-wise, is just that very few hams
actually live within WDC, although there must be over 5000 who WORK within
the District at govmint offices and such. So there's dang few hams actually
available to pass out the DC multiplier.

Which reminds me, Eric: thanks el mucho fer the DC mult on CW in the past
contests!!  8-)))))))

Steve, K0XP