Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WPX rules, it finally happened

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WPX rules, it finally happened
From: Doug Smith W9WI <dougw9wi@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 09:12:32 -0600
On 01/30/2014 11:53 PM, Yuri wrote:
It's amazing that some folks completely forget that this is a CONTEST
(competition).
Some people try to COMPETE and WIN. That's why they try to maximize the
number of contacts (aka QSOs).

If you don't want to wait 30 seconds to hear the other station's ID,
then just find clear frequency, call CQ yourself and make those 2-3 or
whatever Q's.

I can't find a clear frequency because they're all occupied by stations I can't work because I have no idea what their callsigns are:)

Seriously, yes, it's a contest. BOTH participants in a contest QSO are trying to COMPETE and WIN.

Expecting the S&P operator to waste 30 seconds doing nothing waiting for the run operator to ID is to suggest the S&P operator's time is not valuable - that he is not entitled to COMPETE and WIN.

I note the Sprint contests have required ID with every QSO from the beginning. At least here in the U.S. these contests are recognized as *the* test of operator ability. Nobody is suggesting this rule be deleted. IMHO its addition to the WPX is a welcome change.

==
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66