Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WPX rules, it finally happened

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WPX rules, it finally happened
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 10:49:19 -0700

On 1/31/2014 8:12 AM, Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

Seriously, yes, it's a contest. BOTH participants in a contest QSO are trying to COMPETE and WIN.

Actually most participants are just that participants and are trying to have fun and know they will not win. Most don't even send in logs.

To other comments:

If the rule was made for OP's that id every 15 mins why was it not written that way? How did we ever manage to contest in the past without this rule? I guess we should wipe every record every time the rules change.

There were always ways to penalize or DQ the folks doing it wrong without this rule. Is this the biggest problem the WPX contest has? I doubt it. Why not address those knuckleheads one on one. Contest already have too many rules that are not enforced and can't be enforced. More rules and regulations do not attract new players to the game.

"good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws"
-- Plato <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/879.Plato>

"Writing laws is easy, but governing is difficult."
-- Leo Tolstoy <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/128382.Leo_Tolstoy>, /War and Peace <http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/4912783>

/Are there stats and metrics that back up making this rule change or we just relying on the rule of the squeaky wheel get the grease? What percent of participants are not IDing in the manner the Organizers deem proper? 1, 20? 50 percent?

CQ Magazine
Welcome to the world of Capitalism where businesses succeed and fail. CQ has had a good run. Apparently, they failed to keep up with the times or made some decisions that have detrimental to their business. I am still waiting on my December issue and asked for a refund of my remaining subscription. I never got August either and was told twice that it was being mailed. I have no intentions of "donating" for a for profit cause.

If we have a minority of people acting badly in contests then lets address them one on one and quit trying to over regulate contesting. It doesn't work in government, why would it work here?

W0MU

/
/