RFI

Re: [RFI] My biggest fear is happening

To: Mike Fatchett W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] My biggest fear is happening
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2024 23:39:22 +0000
As an EMC/RFI engineer for decades, I once was summoned to have a look at
the Jeep with the new introduction of the early UConnect on the console of
a Wagoneer.   The owner reported he could not make cell phone calls when
the UConnect was active.  In addition, when certain screens were displayed
on the UConnect, various and variable functions would turn on and off.  At
times the vehicle would even turn the engine off or stop the vehicle by
applying brakes.  He had correlated all that to the UConnect.  Mind you,
this was very early in the introduction of the feature in select Jeep
models, mostly the Wagoneer.  The UConnect unit is a PC-backed display all
in one assembly.

I did a professional assessment of the radiated emissions of that unit.  I
pretty much concluded everything the owner reported was, indeed, due to the
UConnect in the dash.  The emissions were so strong in the driver's seat
that they were in danger of violating the FCC levels for RF exposure!.
Yes, they violated the RF exposure rules published by the FCC.  No wonder
his cell phone was overwhelmed by the emissions from the dash mounted
"feature".

So I wrote a professional report with the data I had measured.  I emailed
it to Jeep noting that the driver seat RF levels as a function of frequency
exceeded the FCC levels by a reasonable amount.  Well, a month went by.  I
was eventually contacted.  It had hit the CEO of the company.  Things
changed in a hurry.

I own a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon LT (the slightly longer wheelbase model
- if I got those final letters correct?).  Based on the related experience,
even before we put money down at the dealer, I frisked several models of
Rubicons on the lot.  They were pretty clean and a far cry from what I had
measured almost a decade earlier.  Ours is also relatively clean of
radiated emissions.

So, presenting the data from measurements in a professional manner didn't
need to go to FCC.  It went to the CEO of Jeep, whomever that was at the
time.

I gave myself a pat on the back - forgive me.......

Dave - WØLEV

On Thu, Jun 6, 2024 at 4:01 PM Mike Fatchett W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com> wrote:

> What felonies were committed?  Are you a licensed attorney? There are
> felons in the amateur radio service. The FCC makes that call no you.
> You are also innocent until proven in a court of law, not public opinion.
>
> RFI is a huge issue for us and will probably down the road completely
> ruin the hobby unless you live in the middle of no where.  The FCC could
> and should be doing more but are focused on selling public radio bands
> for their corrupt Government.
>
> You obviously do care.  You responded.
>
> I have had to climb the corporate ladder to get resolutions.  So what?
> The goal is to get XXX fixed.  Sometime you have to very high.
>
> Not sure why the installer would be mad.  I suspect he is clueless about
> the RFI issues and would not understand twisted dc lines and chokes
> etc.  He was trained to do a specific job.  He is not an RFI engineer.
> He is an installer.  He did not build the stuff he is installing.  Give
> the installers some slack.  If you ever worked in the fast food industry
> or service industry, try not to piss off the person making or serving
> your food.  If you desire an outcome, being an ass is probably not your
> best course of action.  Ask them for help.  People love to help other
> people. Try to get them to be your knight in shining armor.  Brute
> forces is usually the last resort.
>
> W0MU
>

> On 6/5/2024 3:16 PM, Clay Autery wrote:
> > If I had the time, I'd write a long paper explaining how f'd up THAT
> > is and YOU are for doing that.
> >
> > But I don't.  Get mad, or don't.  I don't care.
> >
> > I don't want guys like you around me or carrying an amateur license.
> > You'll be lucky if you don't lose it.
> >
> > You just admitted to committing multiple Federal felonies.
> > You are no longer eligible to be a licenses amateur radio operator
> > under current FCC rules.
> >
> > Clay E. Autery, Jr.
> > KY5G
> >
> > On 6/5/2024 12:12 PM, Bob Kozlarek WA2SQQ wrote:
> >> We decided to contact
> >> solar wave on my own and after masquerading as an installer I
> >> actually got
> >> someone to call me back. ...  When I told him that I
> >> escalated the manner and that somebody would be contacting him, he
> >> seemed
> >> quite annoyed. I’ll keep everyone posted.

*Dave - WØLEV*